Thursday, October 7, 2010

Compliments to the Chef

"Home is where your story begins. . ."
Well, part of my story is about growing up in a home that included learning how to cook, clean and serve a large group of people...my family and our guests. Now living in Africa i find myself with the opportunity to once again serve a large group of people only this time they are Liberians! (And fellow Americans, etc ;) For example, today we had a goodbye lunch for an Australian dentist who has been helping at the clinic for the last 2months. It was a combined culinary effort but the big crock-pot of soup I made brought on these choice comments; "I beg you to marry my brother"
"this is beautiful"
"the soup is fine-oh!"
"the American soup makes my belly happy and full-oh!"
"I need to lie down, it's too much"
"I have to go home and tell my wife i can't eat her cooking anymore!"
"Melissa is a strong African woman, she makes a good wife"
"I pray to God that your husband finds you soon so he will be satisfied"
Eating the soup and humming 'Here Comes The Bride'

Haha in a culture that values marriage and food so much, let's just say the soup was a hit!

3 comments: